Changes Under the New Comcast Bulk Contract for Aberdeen – TV Service
Comcast currently has three different set-top boxes for TV programming.
- X1 HD DVR – This is the main box that everyone needs. It can display HD (High Definition) programming, record programs with its DVR (Digital Video Recorder), display all channels that the subscriber is eligible for (including premium channels like HBO and Showtime), can access On-Demand programming and Pay-Per View programs. It can use the X1 Voice remote. I’ll call this the “Large” box.
- X1 HD Box – This box can display HD (High Definition) programming. It does not have a built-in DVR but communicates with the main DVR box to play previously recorded DVR programs and can schedule the recording of programs on the main DVR box. This box displays all channels that the subscriber is eligible for (including premium channels like HBO and Showtime), can access On-Demand programming and Pay-Per View programs. It can use the X1 Voice remote. Since this box is smaller than the X1 HD DVR box, I’ll call this the “Medium” box.
- HD DTA (Digital Transfer Adapter) – This box can display HD (High Definition) programming. It cannot play or initiate DVR recordings, it does not display all channels that the subscriber is entitled to, no On-Demand, Pay-Per View or premium channels, and cannot use the voice feature on X1 Voice remotes. Since this box is even smaller than the X1 DVR box, I’ll call this the “Small” box.
Under the old Comcast contract, Aberdeen residents with the Triple-Play option, were eligible to receive 1 – X1 HD DVR box (Large), 2 – X1 HD boxes (Medium) and 2 – HD DTA boxes (Small).
Under the new contract, Aberdeen residents with the Triple-Play option, are eligible to receive 1 – X1 HD DVR box (Large), 3 – X1 HD boxes (Medium) and 1 – HD DTA box (Small).
Call Comcast (1-800-XFINITY) to have them mail the new box to you and give you instructions on how to return your old box or visit a Comcast Store to exchange in-person. There are Comcast Stores at:
- Village Green Center – 2815 State Road 7, Suite 300, Wellington, 33414
- Green Acres Plaza – 3943 Jog Road, Greenacres, 33467
- Delray Marketplace – 9173 West Atlantic Avenue, Delray Beach, 33446
Your best option is to bring your box(es) to the UPS store in the Charleston Square at 6586 Hypoluxo Rd, Lake Worth (Hypoluxo and Jog by Winn Dixie). They have the mailing address of Comcast, will package your box(es) and send them at No Charge. The UPS Store Phone is (561) 432-8890.
Comcast reserves the right to bill you for any box that you fail to return and is subject to supply chain issues and short staffing. New boxes come with improved self-install instructions. Most residents will be able to install their new box themselves without any trouble. Those needing assistance call 1-800-XFINITY and they will walk you through the process.
Comcast will install equipment free of charge for new owners for six months starting from the contract renewal date. As part of the new contract, Comcast will send a technician to the west part of Aberdeen once a week rather than the twice monthly visit they previously did. This weekly date has not yet been established. Once the weekly date begins, the technician may be able to answer your questions about equipment installation.
Aberdeen residents who currently have two, small DTA boxes, can exchange one for a new X1 HD box. They can keep and use the other small DTA box for no cost as long as Comcast supports them. Comcast may stop supporting those DTA boxes but no deadline was announced.
Aberdeen residents who chose the Video Only service are eligible to receive 1 – X1 HD DVR box (Large), 2 – X1 HD boxes (Medium) and 1 – HD DTA box (Small). Additional boxes may be added for a cost directly from Comcast.
Comcast now has a 4K DVR box for residents who have upgraded to a new television with 4K resolution. Programming in 4K resolution gives a better, sharper picture than High Definition. More and more programming is being made available in 4K HDR (High Dynamic Range). For example, the recent Baseball World Series was available in 4K HDR resolution for users with this new 4K DVR box and a 4K HDR television.
All Comcast subscribers with an X1 HD DVR box are eligible to exchange this box for the new 4K DVR box at no cost. The exchange can be done by mail or in-person at a Comcast Store.
Comcast now has a Wireless Set Top Box. With this box, you can watch TV anywhere in your home. You don’t need to have your TV near a coaxial cable jack in the wall. This box does not use coaxial cable to connect to a wall outlet. For more information, go to: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs
You can view Comcast TV programming without using any set top box at all. There is an app for that. Comcast has apps for Android and Apple called Xfinity Stream. You can use this app to view TV programs on a smart phone or tablet. There is a website for computer viewing. The smart phone apps let you “Cast” the picture to a compatible TV using a device like a Chromecast to view on a bigger screen. You can also use this to watch recorded programs. When watching programs in your home, all channels are available. When viewing outside your home, some channels are not available.